The Blitzkrieg! Starter Army is a mix of plastic and metal models containing:
- x6 Blitzkrieg sprues (36 Infantry) – Plastic
- Early War German 81mm Mortar Team – Metal
- Early War German Light Artillery – Metal
- Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. C – Plastic
- Panzer IV Ausf. D – Metal & Resin
The Literally Blitzkrieg List
|Standard Reinforced Platoon|
|2nd Lt (SMG) – Veteran – 65|
x1 Buddy (SMG) – 13
|Heer Pioneer Squad – Veteran – 7 men – 91|
x7 SMG – 21
|Heer Veteran Infantry Squad – Veteran – 7 men – 91|
x7 Bicycles – 7
|Heer Infantry Squad – Regular – 8 men – 80|
x1 LMG – 20
|Heer Infantry Squad – Regular – 8 men – 80|
x1 LMG – 20
|Medic – Veteran||30pts|
|Sniper Team – Veteran – 65||65pts|
|Medium Mortar Team – Veteran – 65|
Spotter – 10
|Light Howitzer – Veteran – 60||60pts|
|Panzer IV Ausf. D – Regular – 175||175pts|
|Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Hanomag – Regular – 89|
Rear Pintle MMG – 15
|Total – 11 Order Dice||997pts|
- Rifle – 23
- Pistol – 2
- SMG – 9
- LMG – 2
- MMG – (4)
- Sniper – 1
- Medium Mortar – 1
- Light Howitzer – 1 (1)
(x) denotes a vehicle-mounted weapons.
Notes and Analysis
The objective of this list is two part – 1) use as many of the components from the Starter Army as possible and 2) make a List that work at a competitive level. Please in mind, this List was written using only the content of the Starter Army.
This box is overall great – considering the lack of Armour Busting Weapons during Early War, the Panzer IV is a thematic option added to this box. Being Early War, we have only a few options for the Infantry units, Heer Regular / Vet and Heer Pioneers – both taking the Wehrmacht into account. The lack of AT options is compounded in the Infantry, having only the options for Anti Tank Grenades which are not the greatest option (both points and effectiveness wise).Our assault options are limited as well. The six sprues have just 12 SMGs overall. However, with what is given in the box we have a solid list with a good tactics for a 1,000pt force.
The 2nd Lt with his buddy the Heer Pioneers and the Medic will occupy our only Transport option, the SdKfz. 251/1 (12 seats). This is our spearhead and assault unit, pushing into the middle of the table to hold strong points or getting up and close with the enemy infantry. Be sure to keep the SdKfz. 251/1 behind the units, that just disembarked, and away from enemy Units. Also be aware of its line of sight on the forward-facing MMG, which can give give solid fire support.
Since we have no other Transport option, I decided to give the Heer Veteran Infantry bicycles. Now they can (if we have roads available) cover more ground faster, to support he spearhead units better. Even though the box does not come with any bicycles, we just put a token next to the unit to show they are on bikes. It’s a simple solution for a ‘one and done’ transport option.
Both other Heer Infantry Squads, being equipped with LMGs, can cover the flanks and give long range fire support for the spearhead. The Sniper should, as always, try to get rid of enemy specialist units like MMGs, Mortars, Flamethrowers and / or the Officer and NCOs. Following the other support units, the Light Howitzer, Mortar with Spotter and the Panzer IV, can provide additional support, trying to flush out enemy stronghold and positions, like inside of buildings or behind cover. You’ve got three solid indirect fire options, all with a 2″ HE template, bring the rain.
As said before, my only grief with this List is the Panzer IV Ausf. D – I’d rather like to see a Panzer III with a Med. AT Gun or a Panzer 38(t). Besides that, its a solid box for getting your first 1000pts on the field, covering mostly “all you need”.
Take note, this is a Early War box and List, so I am only considering options that were available in up to end of 1941. Considerations for next steps and expanding your Early War collection:
- Swap the Panzer IV Ausf. D for a Panzer III Ausf. H/J – The List lacks AT. Though the Panzer IV is great against Infantry and soft-skin vehicles and is thematic, it is not a “perfect” option, due to it only having a Light Howitzer as the main gun. The Panzer III Ausf. H/J gives us a Medium Tank (Armor 9) and a Medium AT Gun and the reinforced rear armor bonus for 200pts Reg. being the pinnacle of “Big” Tanks for this Early War period. Another thematic and great anti-infantry Tank would be a Panzer I with its twin turret-mounted MMGs, blasting 12 shots at its target. Considering its cheap cost of 70pts. Reg. and overall small size, this is a valid option for helping Infantry out at close quarters. One of my favorite Axis Early War Tanks is the Panzer 38(t) – Light Tank (Armor 8) with a Light AT Gun and a hull-mounted MMG – all for 135pts. Reg. It is a great little tank that packs some punch.
- Forget the Tank – A fun glass cannon is the Opel Blitz with Flak 38, upgraded to a Flakvierling. It’s 140pts. Reg and packs x8 1″ HE or Pen +2 shots, great for chewing up pretty much anything (but especially Vets, soft-skins and Light Tanks).
- Add an Armored Car – Speaking of, a great addition is a SdKfz. 231 (8-Rad) for 100pts Reg. It’s not Open-topped, has a Light Autocannon and Recce with Dual Steering (backwards same speed as forward when retreating with the Recce move). Another fun, cheap, and great pick for the Armoured Car slot would be a Motorcycle with Sidecar MMG, for only 40pts Reg. and Recce.
- Add a Flamethrower – Get a Flamethrower to either add to the Heer Pioneer Squad or as a standalone Flamethrower Team would be a great addition and boost your assault punch.
- Drop the 251/1 for a Truck – For a cheaper Transport option, I would suggest a Truck, which is way cheaper then the SdKfz. 251/1.
- Add an AT Rifle – A small addition would be a AT Rifle Team to have another option against Veteran Infantry or soft-skinned vehicles – though not the most powerful of AT, it’s certainly thematic.